Background – On May 11th Governor Ricketts announced that beginning on June 1st, 2020, NSAA member schools are permitted to open weight rooms for voluntary strength and conditioning sessions.
In Response Executive Director of the NSAA, Jay Bellar, gave the following update:
Prioritizing the health and safety of all students and staff must remain the focus of each NSAA member school.
These requirements must be followed when conducting voluntary strength and conditioning sessions:
- Maintain social distance by being 6 feet apart
- Follow gathering guidelines of groups of 10 or less students
- Groups of 10 or less must be pre-determined
- Once groups determined, students may not switch from one group to another
- Interaction between groups shall be avoided
- Sessions can only include weightlifting, running, and exercises designed to promote physical fitness.
- Sport-specific drills are not permitted, and sport-specific equipment may not be used.
- Implement diligent and effective cleaning and disinfecting of frequently touched objects and surfaces following the guidance of the CDC
It is the responsibility of each NSAA member school to comply with the above requirements.
Additionally, NSAA member school sponsored camps, clinics and open gyms are prohibited in any sport at this time.
Should the conditions warrant, these requirements will be adjusted.
Any further official updates will be posted on the NSAA website and the NSAA social media platforms.
Key points for Fairbury Public Schools:
1. All Activities
- No access to school facilities outside of the allotted time for conditioning and weights.
- Students can practice on their own, but not as a school-sponsored team.
- No school coaching, uniforms, or financial help will be provided.
- High school summer camps, summer leagues, clinics and open gyms are prohibited by the NSAA at this time
2. Workouts cannot be required- all optional/voluntary
- Attendance can not help/hurt students standing within your individual program.
3. Disinfect and Sanitize
- Clean all areas/equipment used. (Between sessions and after every use)
- Spray, let set, then wipe down.
3. Social Distance
- Maintain proper social distancing (6 – 10 ft.) between coaches/students at all times.
- No more than 10 students and 1 coach at a time in a room. (weight room, gym, outdoor conditioning.)
- Access will be limited. Please use the restroom prior to coming to the school.
5.Drinking Fountains/Locker Rooms
- Access will be limited to emergency only. Students are not to be wandering around the facility under any circumstances.
- Students must bring their own water bottle, already filled. It must be removed every day as well.
- Outside doors are to remain locked to limit the number of hands touching the handles. A coach assigned to that group must let student in and out of the building
- Interior doors to remain propped open to limit the number of hands touching the handles.
- Restricted hours of operation
- Students will be required to clean equipment after each use. Disinfectant and paper towels will be provided to each student upon entry and leave upon exit. The entire facility will be disinfected by staff every day.
- Optional/Voluntary – If students or parents do not feel comfortable coming to school, workouts will still be provided through email.
- Groups and times will be predetermined. There is no switching times or groups during the session or at any time.
- Outside doors remain locked. There will be a coach at the outside door to allow entrance to the group of 10.
- Leave all extra personal items in the car. (phone, lanyards, etc.)
- NO PUBLIC ACCESS
- Fairbury Public Schools Staff have access during non student hours.
8.Other Health Measures
- If the student is feeling sick or running a temperature, they must remain home.
- Students and their families should follow self-quarantine guidelines if there is a suspicion of COVID 19 exposure.
- Reporting of illness or possible COVID 19 exposure is critical. It is expected that any athlete with potential exposure will notify their coach as soon as possible.
- Evidence of any outbreak of disease among staff, students, or any student’s relatives with whom they are living, or visit frequently, will prompt the Fairbury Public Schools administration to promptly close the facilities.
- Each site shall identify a room for separation of the student that appears to be ill or may have developed flu-like symptoms while in our care. Students will have someone with them at all times and parents will be contacted immediately if concerns arise about the health of any children.
- If a student cannot make their training session, they need to contact their specific programs Head Coach or their Group Coach.
- Each student should know their Head Coach and Group Coach phone number and or email address.
Weight Room Schedule Starting on Monday, June 1st, 2020. (9-12 grades to start)
Boys Sessions –> Mon -Thursday 6 am and 7 am
Girls Sessions -> Mon-Wed-Thurs Time TBD based on sessions needed.
At home sessions -> For those people that are uncomfortable or at risk we are developing a set of workout to do from home.
Boys will need to contact Coach Garfield or Coach Steinhoff.
Girls will need to contact Coach Evans or Coach Engle-Evans.
OFF LIMITS ON WEEKENDS AND TO ALL OUTSIDE PARTIES INCLUDING ALUMNI