Local Substitute Human Resources Requirements

The requirements needed to complete the local substitute permit are a human relations course/professional educator course, a transcript showing a minimum of 60 credit hours, fingerprints (if someone has not lived in Nebraska continuously for the past five years) and a letter from the superintendent stating the district would like to hire them. One of the most common items needed to complete the application is meeting the human relations requirement. If any of your substitute teacher applicants are in need of a human relations course, I have included information on courses that are specifically tailored to substitute teachers. The course at Central Community College starts on December 8th and UNK has a course that starts on January 24th. The courses at Peru, Chadron and Wayne will begin in January with the spring semester. Below is more information on each of the colleges and their offerings.

 Central Community College – CCC offers a two week class that is scheduled throughout the semester and their next class will begin on December 8th and end December 22nd. The cost of the one credit hour course is $107. To register or for more information, call 308-398-7412 or visit their website at https://www.cccneb.edu/educ. Please note that the course that starts on December 8th was added yesterday and is not full.

Chadron State College – CSC continues to offer their eight week course each semester and it will be offered again in January. More information on the course can be found on their website at https://www.csc.edu/humanrelations/index.csc.

Peru State College – PSC offers a three week class each semester. The cost of the course is $395. To enroll or call 402-872-2314 or email GraduatePrograms@Peru.edu for more information 

Wayne State College – WSC offers a three week class and costs $299. Call 402-375-7539 or 402-375-7164 or email ebs@wsc.edu for more information.

University of Nebraska at Kearney – The next class starts on January 24th will end on February 11th. More information on the UNK course can be found on their website at https://www.unk.edu/academics/ecampus/degrees-programs/substitute-teaching-module.php.

More information on the human relations requirement can be found on our website (https://www.education.ne.gov/tcert/human-relations-training/). Please note that anyone who is student teaching in your district or is in a teacher preparation program at a Nebraska college has probably taken the human relations course and would only need to prove a transcript showing they have taken an approved course.

Information on how to send a transcript, where to get fingerprints completed and a template for the superintendent letter can be found on the Educator Certification website (https://www.education.ne.gov/tcert/) or in the FAQ page (https://www.education.ne.gov/tcert/faqs-frequently-asked-questions/).

If an applicant has an immediate need or believe they have met all of the requirements, please have them reach out to the Help Desk at nde.tcertweb@nebraka.gov so that a support ticket can be created or send a message directly to their analyst through TEACH.

Translate »